Monday, November 1, 2010

[Internal Adventure] DIY cornices

I didn't know what those upholstered were called boxes at the top of the Windows, but I knew that I wanted them to the nursery.  So, after some research, I realized that these things are called cornices … and I did some ...

These were actually easier to create than I thought (using this tutorial), but I still managed to make some mistakes (I'm bad at math, what can I say?).Notwithstanding is complete and I can show you usually how I did it. 

  With the help of Chris, I cut a few pieces of 6 feet of timber of pine 1 × 10 down to the correct size for my window. My window width (from each edge trim) was 39 75 inches.  My brackets added 3/4 on both sides.So, I cut my front piece for 42.25?. My parts side were 4.5? wide.(If you really are considering make them, see my little warning on measuring below). 

After my cards were cut to the front and sides, I wrapped with stapling batting and tissue, as I went.(Frankie the super dog was disturbed by my top stapling at 9: 30 hours, while he was trying to sleep in your Chair.  He was so upset that he eventually fell back on top for hide.)

You can see in the picture below as I attached parts side to the front panel with L-brackets …

Here is where this warning comes into play. you see how my pieces of hand rest even with the front of the bezel (both are flat against the floor in the image below)? well, ideally the pieces of side would rest on the back of the front panel so that the "amendment" is not visible on the front but, I did not account for the depth of the sides (which are about 3/4), so if they had been attached to the rear of the front panel, there would have been space for my brackets between the garrison and the cornice.The long and long point is that if you want your side seams and not forward and then add enough length in the ends of your front panel to cover the depth of their sides. Caught?

Whew ….

I am summarizing a lot of measuring, levelling and sweating in front of sunny Windows, when I say I used simply another set of l-brackets to attach the whole piece in the wall.

And then they were made, and I was super happy with the final result. our sophisticated gray room is starting to look a bit more like a nursery capricious.

And the two Windows paired together look quite pronounced, if I say that me … so

To end the window treatments, I'll installing some Roman white tones that will hide behind the cornices when we want to natural light and then provide the darkness and isolation when we need it. After spending some time standing in front of those Windows in a sunny afternoon, it's fair to say that tones will come very handy to keep the room cooler in the summer months.

Because any person having a baby is on a budget, especially those who only constructed two new rooms, I'll break our total cost for this custom window treatment:

Elephant fabric – $ 8.37 (1.5 meters on sale!)Striking plates-$ 2.49Pine – $ 13.44 (3 1 x 10 x 6 cards and we have some leftover) l-brackets – $ 7.56

Total: $ 31.86

So, what do you think about this style of window treatment? you had never heard of a cornice before?

Share

Building A House

No comments:

Post a Comment